The academic program is based on scientific and technological multidisciplinary skills that cover a very broad interdisciplinary field of expertise both in Physics and in Engineering Sciences, with a major in materials engineering.
The program includes academic and practical sessions, research projects and internships. The objective of the projects is to reinforce the assimilation of the theoretical background tackled during the practical sessions.
Four fundamental components :
- Solid formation in Engineering Sciences (characterization and shaping of materials, control and control of processes, process engineering, nuclear energy, ...) ;
- Advanced teaching in Physics and Physico-Chemistry (condensed matter physics, physics of surfaces and interfaces, physico-chemistry of materials and solutions, nanoscience) ;
- Conception and realization of a Project (industrial or research prototype) by implementing the pedagogy of innovation, autonomy, team-work and pramatism ;
- Human and Social Sciences (expression, languages, economics, law, psychosociology, management).
Final specilizations :
In the third and last year, engineering students can choose one of the following cursus :
- Physics and Materials Engineering
Engineering physics project
It provides a link between the fundamental courses and the practical implementation of technology. Up to twenty-five students work on the same project at the same time over the first two years, based on 4 to 6 hour sessions every week and a total amount of about 300h with lecturers. Thus, a solar motor vehicle (Bélénos), a photobioreactor for the production of hydrogen or the regeneration of oxygen in a confined space (space cabin, submarine), a power converter, have been successively realized. Recently, specific machines for the characterization of mechanical and physico-chemical properties of innovant metalic samples for aeronautics have been designed and manufactured and delivered to industry.
Belenos participates in the World Solar Challenge in Australia
Three mandatory internships
- one-month internship at the end of the 1st year
- four-month internship abroad at the end of the second year
- five-month internship in industry during the last semester.
Keywords Physics - Materials - Energy - Complex Systems - Instrumentation - Environment - Interdisciplinarity – Innovation and teamwork pedagogy